Shopping day! Yesterday should have been my shopping day but I’m really trying hard to make one tank of gas last the 21 days it needs to. I live at least half an hour from town, so my gas consumption is pretty high. Since the girls had dentist appointments today, I adjusted my schedule and shopped today instead.
After their dentist appointments, they were “starving” so we went to Walmart to see what the new store was like. It has been more than a year since I was in a Walmart. I hate the dirty store and how crowed the old store was. There wasn’t much traffic at the new store and I was able to find decent items for lunch. Their prices were much better than Target’s on toiletries and so I’m afraid I will have to start shopping there again.
Besides the toiletries, I purchased:
- Bottles of water for Quinten and me plus drinks the girls picked out (sugar, color, fake sugar)
- Individual packets of organic hazelnut butter with cocoa (this was our protein for lunch)
- Organic squeezable fruits/veggies
- Olive oil
- Peanut butter
- Individual packages of potato chips for Quinten and the girls.
Total including toiletries: $69.60
My next stop was Sam’s and I purchased Kerrygold butter and cheese and a bag of organic carrots. Total spent here: $28.52
Next was my co-op. I spent the majority of my grocery money here. I purchased:
- Non-homogenized whole milk (6 half gallons)
- Organic corn meal (1 case)
- 1 case of baby kale (8 packages. 1 is shown, the others are in the brown cardboard box)
- 3 dozen local eggs (my soy-free eggs didn’t come in. I’m thinking about switching to the local eggs)
- 2 packages organic cranberries
- 3 organic onions
- 5# bag organic potatoes
- Bulk maple syrup
- Package organic cream cheese
- 1 small bottle castile soap
- 2 containers organic cottage cheese (fingers crossed they will feed us a meal)
- 2 packages organic bagels
- 1 bag organic apples
- 2 organic lemons
My total here was $140.51
My second-to-last stop was to Great Harvest Bread. I lost the receipt (I always seems to lose one each shopping trip). I estimate the total for this trip was less than $40
- 1 loaf Challah (this became our snack after I came home from town. 1 loaf of bread divided by 7 equals gone in a flash!)
- 1 loaf Cranberry Orange
- 1 loaf white
- 2 loaves whole wheat
My last stop was one of the other health food stores in town. I purchased:
- 1 bag nonfat dry milk
- 1 jar local honey
- 2 packages crackers
- 1 box waxed paper
- 1 box aluminum foil
My total here was $37.80
My total for shopping today was $312.49. I only had $200 really to spend today so I did end up moving money from savings that I will replace in a couple of weeks. However, I am under the $400 goal by $87.51. I am sure I will make up for that savings my next trip to town since we are running low on so many things. I hope we have enough here to make into meals!
Here is what we ate today:
Pumpkin Muffins using this as a guide. I made them using kamut flour and ended up adding about ¼ cup milk to make the batter thin enough. I also added a bar of dark chocolate that I’d chopped in place of the chocolate chips the girls requested. We also had coffee.
Lunch was purchased at Walmart. We had bottles of water (the girls picked another drink), packets of hazelnut butter, squeezable fruit/veggies, and the girls and Quinten had small bags of chips.
Challah with butter and a cup of coffee since it’s so dang cold today!
Roasted Chicken with stir-fried kale (cooked in coconut oil), and bread with butter
I didn’t keep track of what we ate these days, though they were Real Food-compliant. I am neck-deep in my last class for this semester and valiantly trying to finish before Thanksgiving–one project down and one to go!!